For nearly every major automaker, August U.S. sales rocked with double-digit growth, compared to August 2012. (And, our colleagues at Chrysler Canada claimed a good month, too.)
In reading all of the positive auto sales news yesterday, did you know about these nuggets?
- While August marked our 41st consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains, it also marked our 30th consecutive month of 100,000+ sales totals. Just as recently as 2010, we only had three months when sales topped 100,000.
- While August truck/SUV sales nipped car sales growth (12% vs 11%), for the year car sales are +18% while truck/SUV sales are +6% in 2013. Five of our six car models (currently in production) have a year-to-date sales increase.
- Our Belvidere, Ill., Assembly Plant is home to three of our six vehicles that set August sales records: Dodge Dart, Jeep® Compass and Jeep Patriot.
- Dodge Journey (+12% sales growth, up to 8,890 sold) had its. best. month. ever.
- Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan were the two top-selling minivans, according to Allpar.com.
- Chrysler 300 (+27% sales growth, up to 5,909 sold and pictured above) had its best sales month of 2013, and its best August since 2007.
- Ram pickups grew 31%, the fastest rate of any other pickup truck sold last month. Also per TruckTrend.com, it’s gaining market share.
- Fiat 500L gave a strong boost to overall FIAT USA sales, accounting for 29% of total brand sales.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Journey were among the top 20 best-selling SUVs/crossovers last month, according toGoodCarBadCar.net. No other automaker had more than three.
- Through 67% of 2013, our year-to-date sales totals are 74% of 2012 totals and 89% of 2011 total sales.