If you’re looking to go off road, Ram Truck brand definitely has you covered. As Head of Ram Truck Brand in North America Bob Hegbloom said Thursday morning in Chicago: Ram is “America’s off-road truck leader.”
A year after introducing the Ram 1500 Rebel, the brand’s fastest-selling model, it unveiled the latest version of the ultimate off-road truck in the 2017 Ram 2500 Heavy-Duty 4×4 Off-Road Package.
- Large front tow hooks add an untold amount of versatility and allow the Ram 2500 to become a solid anchor point or rescue rig.
- Larger fender flares in Black or body-color help prevent whatever slings off the tires from covering the side of the truck with debris.
- Bilstein monotube shock absorbers soak up the bumps at all four corners and distribute excessive heat that can be generated when driving rough sections for extended periods of time. (Image at right.)
- Firestone LT 275/70R 18E OWL on/off-road tires for added traction. Some models wear Firestone LT 285/60R 20E OWL on/off-road tires.
- To prevent underbody strike damage, the Ram 2500 4×4 Off-road Package includes a transfer case skid plate to address the lowest mid-point of the truck.
- Standard Hill-decent control, borrowed from the Power Wagon, allowing drivers to control speed down steep, rugged grades with the buttons on the column shifter – without the need for throttle or brake pedals.
- Standard rear anti-spin differential, which turns both rear wheels in tandem when increased torque is applied.
- Finishing off the truck is a large “4X4 OFF ROAD” decal placed on the rear corner of the bed on both sides of the truck.
All of that is available, nearly no matter what Ram 2500 HD you’re looking for: Crew Cab and Mega Cab, gas and diesel powertrains and short- and long-wheelbase models.
Available third quarter, you can get it with all Ram trim levels, including Tradesman, SLT, Big Horn/Lone Star, Outdoorsman, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn and Limited.
See our Flickr set for more Ram 2500 HD 4X4, Off-Road Package images.